Wednesday, July 26, 2017

JUNE 13,2017

Well, it's Tuesday. Sorry, Nieuw Amsterdam had a really nasty power outage yesterday. So, we weren't able to email.

But I'm on today though. They were just updating something in the power system. The weather has gotten a lot better this week. It doesn't rain as much, but we had a pretty crazy storm yesterday. Suriname is kind of like Utah in that way. One moment, everything is still and peaceful, the next, there's a big storm. We had to take shelter at a member's house to wait for the storm to pass over.

Well... I got my last transfer call. I totally thought I was staying in Commewijne my last transfer. That makes sense right? Well, the Lord threw another curve ball at me, and... I'm headed to the city my last transfer. I'm headed to the dead center of Paramaribo.

Somalee is getting baptized this week! I've been working really hard to see someone baptized here in Commewijne. And of course, the week it happens, I get transferred. That's alright though, President Egbert has given me permission to go to the baptism. The Lord has let me see a baptism in every area I've served in, since I've gotten into this mission.

Again, I'm short on time and I've got to go, but I wanted to share an experience I had while doing personal study one day. I've been reading in Our Heritage, a brief history of the church. I've been reading about the organization of the church, and how there were small, young branches organized throughout the US, Canada, and England. It's awesome to read these stories. As I was reading, an impression came to me of how Commewijne is like that. It's young, with just a handful of faithful members. The work we're doing here in Commewijne is much like that in the early days of the church. This work too, is pioneer work.

Reading the stories about the early days of the church is so fascinating. In the scriptures it talks a lot about "coming unto a knowledge of the fathers". That phrase is frequently rehearsed throughout the Book of Mormon. In 2 Nephi 30:5, Nephi writes why he's quoted Isaiah. He says:
And the gospel of Jesus Christ shall be declared among themwherefore, they shall be restored unto the knowledge of their fathers, and also to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, which was had among their fathers.
As latter-day saints, coming to a knowledge of our fathers is what is contained in the church history, Our Heritage. The Nephites and Lamanites learned much about their fathers, and so should we. We become grateful for our blessings, and helps us know about where we come from, Our Heritage.

Have a great week. I'll talk to you all later.

Ik hou van jullie!!!


Elder Hunt

Amazing member in Commewijne


No comments:

Post a Comment